Sunday, April 09, 2006

When a problem comes along, you must rip it!

Before the knit sits out too long, you must rip it!

So, yes, there was ripping of the Crusoe sock. It was sad and it took me much longer to rip out the section of the sock than it took to knit it, which I found very discouraging.

However, rather than put the sock to the side and ignore it for a while, I decided to just go ahead and get it over with. And I did.






My guage changed during the knitting and so I realized I needed about 8 more stitches than I had on the needle. So I ripped back to the point in the gusset decreases when I had those 8 extra stitches and then worked even from there. I am now ready to start the toe decreases!





I think the second sock will go more quickly now that I fully understand the pattern and know how many stitches that I need at each part of the sock. Of course, that's assuming my gauge doesn't randomly change again. Believe me, I'll be checking frequently, especially during the gusset descreases.

(Speaking of gusset...every single time I type that word, I type "guesset" and I have to go back and change it to "gusset". Every time. I have no idea why I do this. Does anyone else do this?)

For your viewing, a closeup of the stranded pattern on the ankle and instep:




And a closeup of the heel flap, which is also stranded, but differently than the main pattern:





Happy Knitting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home