Sunday, February 19, 2006

True Colors

I've been asked recently about what colors I like or don't like, particularly in reference to yarn. My favorite color is blue. However, I also noted that I couldn't think of any colors that I completely didn't like, nor should blue be considered a limiting factor.

I decided that I wasn't sure how to explain how I like or don't like color in yarn, so I would show some pictures. I gathered up some blue yarn and in doing so realized that I must really like blue, because I have a lot of it. Here is a large sample of my blue yarn...



I count 9 varieties of blue yarn there, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that there's more blue yarn not photographed. ;)

However, I like other colors too...here are a few.






















I had a few other pictures, but I was having a bit of trouble with the lighting. I had lots of helpful natural light and no flash, yet some of the pictures still showed the yarn a bit washed out and lighter than it should be. I'll have to keep working on that.

Still, it's hard to say what I like in color of yarn except that I do like color. I realized thinking about it that I don't own any black yarn and in one pattern even avoided using black by substituting a pewter grey. I'm not sure why that is since I have a black cardigan that I wear at least once or twice a week, as well as other articles of clothing in that color. However, for some reason I haven't really been drawn to it in yarn. There are some colors I don't like much elsewhere (like the color yellow) but I like it in yarn; I have that Karabella Aurora 8 in yellow that I really like and I plan to use it to make a scarf.

I'm not sure how much this helps the person who asked, but hopefully it will allow at least a little bit of insight into the colors I choose for knitting.

1 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Man. That Manos is just gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home