Thursday, March 31, 2005

Shocking Pink Coif


This is my fifth project: Shocking Pink Coif. The pattern is from Knitty (available here). I started this project on January 18th and finished on January 30th.

As you can see, I did not actually knit it in pink, nor did I even use the same yarn that pattern called for. At the time I wanted to knit this, I couldn't find the yarn for it. So I used Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush in Color 109, knitted on US #7 and US #9 straights. The gauge was WAY off, so I did 4 extra repeats of rows 61-64. I now wish I hadn't done that. I didn't know at the time that Alpaca does not have the same elasticity, so even though that ended up with the correct measurements, it's a little long for me now.

Still, I learned mirrored increases and decreases for this (thanks to Vogue's Ultimate Knitting Reference) and it was my first real experience with any kind of shaping. The alpaca is super soft and very warm. Essentially, this goes over the head, and ties at the chin. Overall, I like it. The ball of yarn is how much I have left over. Now that I'm knitting more, I'm beginning to get a stash of yarn left over from projects and I'm just not sure what to do with them.